Pentax lenses and cameras may not be mainstream but I’m an addict! My first SLR was a Pentax ME Super and when I bought a new camera, it was natural to buy a newer Pentax because I can still use my 40 year old lenses!
I believe even photographers that use other kits will admit Pentax makes great lenses. Pentax was the first to use Super Multi Coating on their lenses. This helps minimize dust sticking to the glass and really makes the difference in colours in the final pictures.
Over my lifetime, Pentax has continually developed new and improved lenses and yet maintained backward compatibility. Between the camera technology and lens technology, I’m glad I am still a Pentaxian. Search Facebook, we’re out there. Way out there!
There have been a few series of Pentax lenses:
- K and M series are Manual.
- FA series are more automatic and controlled by the camera body with the ability for most to be used manually if desired.
- DA series are specifically designed for crop sensor cameras. They don’t have a manual aperture ring.
- D FA series are automatic but optimized for digital cameras, both full frame and crop sensor. They have a manual aperture ring but can be controlled by the camera as well.
Like I said, I have had my Pentax lenses 40 years and own some of each of these.
eBay for Lenses (and cameras)
When I broke one of my cameras, I wanted a backup while I had it fixed. I thought I would check eBay and lo and behold, there is a plethora of equipment available on eBay. I decided to take a chance on some really affordable options. My replacement camera, my Pentax K-5, turned out to be better than my main camera, the K-S1. Go figure!
- Pentax 50-200mm 1:4-5.6 ED SMC DAL Telephoto Zoom Lens $19.92CDN
- Lot of Two (2) SMC Pentax-F 35-80mm F4-5.6 K Bayonet Mount AF Lenses $1.31CDN
- Lot of Two (2) SMC Pentax-FA 28-80mm F3.5-5.6 K Bayonet Mount AF $4.32CDN
- Sigma 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 Aspherical-Macro Lens for Pentax $7.37CDN
- PENTAX Pentax SMC 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 DC Lens $190.43CDN
These are only a few of the lenses and the last one is the first time I spent over $100. Any one of these when they were new would be many times what I paid. the 18-135mm new is about $500.
PENTAX Pentax SMC 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
This Pentax lens has turned out to be my favourite walk around lens on my K-5, the backup camera that is now my main squeeze!
Although this lacks the aperture ring, I love the range and the ability to work with reasonably low light. As long as the camera isn’t having issues controlling the lens aperture (that would be the f-stop), you can shoot just about anything with this lens. I’m looking forward to getting back out to Ontario Parks and taking more pictures with this lens.
Why is this my new favourite Pentax lens?
- When I am doing street photography and can’t get back from a building, it is wide enough in most cases.
- If I’m catching a shot of birds, not too far away, this has pretty good reach.
- IF, Internal Focusing. The lens doesn’t turn on the outside and it’s ultra quiet. It won’t scare those birds!
- I love the colours when shooting natural landscapes, particularly skies with character.
- On the K-5, the whole kit is weather resistant!
So, if you like to be outdoors and not worry too much about the weather, WR series Pentax lenses on WR camera bodies like the K-5 are a great combination.
If you want to see more of my photos, check out my Youpic site! Photos are all taken with Pentax cameras but lenses vary. Check the info on the photos for the lens and camera used.
Make it a great day!
P.S. What am I thankful for? Pentax, eBay and Amazon! What are you thankful for today?Please share ... by